Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Door List

So I just read the last blog I posted and there were way too many exclamation points to count - wow I sounded like I was hopped up on sugar and disney videos. Hopefully this one is a little less suzy sunshine (not that Australia isn't awesome!...it was just over the top...needs to be taken down a notch)

Today was a lovely morning - I had my orientation for Education which started at 9. The program here has around 85 students in each year for physical education which is enormous compared to the 20 of us over four years at Syracuse. But I got to meet the director of the program and we're going to set up a meeting to discuss things so that will be great.

But I wanted to share about my door list. So about a week ago, I just got so overwhelmed with little things here and there that I "must do!" in and around where I live and Australia that I compiled a list. I stuck it on my door and put a pen next to it. If anyone thinks of something that they recommend or I just shouldn't pass up - they add it to the list. Once I have accomplished something that's on the list, I redraw it with a vibrant marker so as progress on in the list - my sheet gets more colorful! So far I have accomplished quite a few things - (most of them involving food - what can I say - I live to eat)
1) Eaten a Meat Pie - this is quite similar to a chicken pot pie but instead it is filled with meat and usually has potato and cheese on the top or whatever thing they want to add to jazz it up. It's almost like Shepard's pie meets pot pie. And we have just discovered that at rugby games and things similar, you can get a "traveler's pie" which is like a hot pocket meat pie...tasty!
2) Saw a Rugby game of sorts - Bulldogs vs. Dragons - it was a great game to watch!
3) "Munched on a Lemington" - Lemington's are a classic Australian dessert that is sponge cake with a chocolate coating (lighter than frosting but similar), then covered in coconut shavings. Almost like jean marie's favorite the snow ball but less twinkie-ish to it. Apparently some have a cream or jam filling. It was good with a cup of hot chocolate.
4) Eat a Kebab - We had this the other night - oh.my.goodness. was it tasty! I decided to go all out and I got "the whole lot" on a lamb kebab wrap - lettuce, tomato, tabbouleh, hummus, cheese, onions, olives and then I asked for sun dried tomatoes on it - my mouth's watering right now - after it, I felt like I could go a week without eating but I was a total fan.
There is still much more on my list to do and I will keep updating you on accomplishments - hopefully there will be some more "scenic" accomplishments instead of all food ones - but hey, I am not complaining, food is just too good!

I also found some American girls who wanted to go to Ash Weds. today so we walked about 15 minutes to the local church which was great. The little boy in front of us decided after we got our ashes to proclaim in his best outdoor voice "We all got paint on our face!! I love it when we paint faces!" The mom was shushing him as his 5 year old sister was licking her fingers and then giving her doll the sign of the cross on it's forehead. I found it hilarious and a pretty gross at the same time but hey, they're learning in their own ways.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love hearing about your adventures Bren. Of COURSE all of the initial ones would involve food!

    So I went to school with my ashes on which led to a barrage of questions...but my favorite was when I heard Felix tell his whole table "Yeah, I tell The Christ my sins." I almost peed myself. Anyway, keep living it up... we love hearing about everything!

    ReplyDelete