Thursday, February 26, 2009

Op-shopping is my new favorite thing!

So yesterday was Wednesday and it was super busy! Campus east sets up all these activities that the RA's on duty plan and run which is great so the line up was "op-shopping" at 11-2 and then "a walk to the lighthouse" at 3:30. Now you might be thinking in your head what the heck is "op-shopping". Well, we have salvation army at home and they have that times a million here. There are soo many thrift stores all over the place and it's common for uni students to use their resources to grab an inexpensive new outfit or props for themed parties. Any thrift store is called an "op-shop" here hence "op-shopping". One of the RA's here loves Op shopping so she decided to compile a tour of all different ones to hit up a series of all different ones - I was in heaven! I got this awesome dress for $2 and I found at one all these vintage University of Wollongong shirts that are sweet! It's also an awesome place to find furniture - I was very tempted to snag an $18 futon because it was probably one of the most comfortable couches I have ever sat on.
When we got back, my roommate Nikolai (he's an exchange student from Canada so another non-native like me to do touristy things with!) and I went and joined the tour to the lighthouse. It was a beautiful probably 2 mile walk and it's right on the coastline where the famed town beach is. It was really beautiful! All of the postcards I have been seeing has the town center with the lighthouse pictured on it and now I can successfully buy them and say that I did the walk around there. Also on the walk, the amount of pelicans on the ocean is crazy! They are like seagulls here (they have seagulls also so don't think I escaped those little buggers) and they just swim around the water being cool. When they eat things - man that is so fun to watch, it's almost like they have a tickle in their throat and they need to shake it out.

I also finished my enrollment sign up online so I know my class schedule! It actually turned out really awesome because I am a tutorial sign up champ! So how it works is each student has the lecture they have to go to at a set time but then they break that down into smaller groups called tutorials. Sign-ups for tutorials are at random times and once that time has passed - you are eligible to sign-up for one of time choices available. My roommate Amy who's the RA said that it's best to sit and just wait for the clock to reach your time and quickly enroll because apparently last year she was 10 seconds late and everything but one tutorial was left. Most of the classes I'm taking are with international students so I was praying they weren't that fast at this game. So for both of my sign ups I was anxiously waiting for the clock to tick to my time, click the menu, the class I wanted, and enroll! I am proud to say I got every one I wanted and like my roommate back home Brittany says - "Slam, bam, thank you ma'am!" My class lineup is a lecture on Monday morning, a tutorial Tues morning and a lecture Tuesday afternoon (3:30), two tutorial Weds but not until 1:30 and then one lecture Thursday! This is great because the lectures are not compulsory (don't worry jean marie, I will be attending them) but if I decide to travel someplace far away and I really would like a longer stay, I could fly out Weds, stay through Monday and technically have a 6 day stay there! Saaaaweeet!

No comments:

Post a Comment